
Helen turned 28 years old on March 18th. My gift to her was a GORE-TEX(TM) jacket to shield her from the elements when we go on our hikes in the mountains. For dinner, I steamed her up some Alaskan crab legs, and brought her a chocolate raspberry cake for dessert. After dinner, we went up to the Lowell Observatory for a night of stargazing. It's named after Percival Lowell of the Massachusetts Lowell family, who moved out to Flagstaff to explore the skies and ended up discovering the planet Pluto, which may or may not actually be a planet. We got to see a pretty amazing view of Saturn and its moons while we were there. Helen wants to thank everyone for their cards, calls, and birthday wishes...it is easier to have a great birthday with so many wonderful people in our lives!
This weekend we made the short drive down to Sedona for a day of hiking. The weather was perfect, and the views of the surrounding red rocks were astounding. A few years back, Sedona was actually named the most beautiful place in America by USA Today. Check out the accompanying slide show to get a feel for the terrain. The hike went smoothly, except for Helen being stabbed in the leg by a vicious cactus. Thankfully, she only bled a little.
Sounds like an awesome birthday! The cake looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteI forgot my Gmail name etc. last night so I signed up again tonight. I had just realized I can post comments so here I go. I have to say Helen's birthday sounds brilliant, I can't wait until I can get there for a visit. I know Janet has been but I think we will retrace your steps although I don't know how to staem crab legs or bake a cake. I can drive though so can't wait for Sedona and Lowell. I think this is my major vacation this year so post some ideas, or call me, I am y'alls dad. Don't worry, we'll get a hotel.
ReplyDelete