8.05.2012

Miriam Rose


July 23, 2012 we headed to the hospital for an early morning induction.  Nervous, unsure what to expect, and so ready to meet our little one.
In the Labor and Delivery elevator, on our way!
They started us on "gels" to get my contractions going and we did 4 hours of alternating laying in bed and walking the hospital.  We got very familiar with the halls of Flagstaff Medical Center as the contractions became more and more intense.  I was still breathing through them well up through 5 cm.  The contractions started to stall and they decided to move us up to an IV of pitocin.  Things started moving more quickly and getting much more intense from that point.  I set a goal to birth without pain medications, and I was able to see that through to the end.  After another couple of hours, 5 more centimeters, and about 45 minutes of pushing Miriam Rose was born.  She came into the world at 11:31pm July 23, 2012 and was 7lb 14oz, 19 3/4 inches.  Daddy got to cut her umbilical cord and mommy got to hold her close.  She cried at first, but then shot open her eyes and took it all in.  I'll never forget staring into her eyes while she grasped my finger with her tiny fist.
Her first picture, getting weighed and cleaned up.

First cuddle with daddy

A few hours old

Napping Champion

Recovering with Mommy
I lost a lot of blood after her birth and I am so thankful for the wonderful nurses and our OB.  I felt that I was  in such steady hands and honestly didn't even know something was wrong until it was over.  The first week was a tough recovery for me; I was really weak and struggled to do much of anything on my own.  Jason was a rock as always, and didn't leave my or Miriam's side for days. Those first days at home were a bit of a blur, but we soaked in every moment, movement, and change in our little girl.  Already we could see she was determined, strong, and very sweet. She does not like having her diaper changed (how embarrassing mama!), gas, or poopy diapers, but rarely cries and lets us console her quickly.  She loves eating, sleeping, and cuddling with mommy and daddy.  She grows by the second and I am in awe of her tiny, beautiful self.

Heading Home!

In the recliner with daddy

Hello world!  She wore her fancy shirt to meet Grandma and Grandpa Hemmer on Skype!

Wide eyed and curious.  From the moment she was born she has been wide eyed when she's awake.  

We'll pretend it's a "real" smile :)

Yawn!

Oooooh!

Catching flies!

I kiss this face all day long

Jason and his baby girl

Taking our first walk. AKA mama and baby venture outside for the first time
Grandma and Grandpa Bailey are here to visit for 10 days.  It was a joy to watch them meet her for the first time. We have all waited so long for our baby girl.  Grandma takes care of us all and it is so nice to have extra hands around the house.  It's honestly the only reason I've found a few moments to write here.  I'm already dreading their return home at the end of the week, but Miriam, Jason and I will soak up all their presence while we can.
Meeting Grandma


Meeting Grandpa


Madeline looking on

Tomorrow Miriam will be 2 weeks old.  It is so cliche, but honestly true that time really goes by too quickly.

We are so thankful for all the gifts, flowers, food and well wishes that have flooded our front door, inbox, and facebook pages.  So many of you who read this blog are far from us, but we have felt your presence and love so much.


2 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. Feel so blessed with our beautiful granddaughter. Helen & Jason such loving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Helen! It's such an amazing gift and waiting for babies only makes all those sweet moments sweeter! You look fantastic and so, so happy and Miriam is incredibly precious. Hoping these days continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete