1.24.2010

When in Rome...



I don't think anyone would mistake Jason and I for "outdoorsy" people, but if there is one thing we need it is the ability to get out of the house even in the deepest and snowiest of winters. I have learned to enjoy a quick hike in the many parks and trails in and around Flagstaff. As you can imagine, that becomes increasingly difficult with 5 feet of snow on the ground. So, we have joined the legions of snow shoe owners in Flagstaff. As I said, when in Rome...

We have been out twice; once in Buffalo Park about 3 weeks ago and yesterday in Thorpe Park. If you remember, we also tried cross-country skiing last year, but have decided snow shoeing is much more enjoyable -- cheaper and far less skill involved -- you walk with oblong discs on your feet...I can handle that. The scenery is always peaceful and untouched; I got some nice pictures yesterday...





I estimate that Jason and I will never become "hard core" hikers, bikers, or snow shoe-ers like many Flagstaff natives, but for now it lets us get out of the house and enjoy our city. We are contemplating a weekend camping trip in the spring, but I have many reservations about sleeping outdoors and a potential lack of indoor plumbing, so we're working on that one:)

It is Sunday and the snow has finally stopped. We were able to get out of the neighborhood yesterday, and should be "ok" until later in the week -- we are expecting more snow -- it never ends. Nothing out of the ordinary happening with us this week, just staying warm and dry. Jason is driving to Las Vegas next Saturday to see a visiting friend from WPI, and I have a "girl's" shopping / movie day planned with my good friend, Sonia.

On a different note, I am sure you have heard about the unfortunate passing of former Clemson University football player and alum, Gaines Adams. Gaines' smile was second to none, and he had a big heart and quick wit that could lighten any space. He was a bright young man with a bright future and was lost too young. Our thoughts are with his family, friends, and former teammates.

Have a wonderful week to all our friends and family; we miss and love you always!
XOXO

1 comment:

  1. The pics are beautiful! However, I am glad it is you there and not me...good for y'all to get out and enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete